Sunday, January 1, 2017

A New Year to Try New Ideas: Snow Table Made from Fur.


   For starting a new year, I look forward to new and interesting projects. Maybe, I will gain a greater foothold on my painting all of the miniatures I have not gotten around to. The point is that this is bound to be a better year, and I am looking forward to it!
    Now about snow, I would like to see it happen for the first year of owning a house. However, I decided I would make a new snow board until that happens. I am not much of a fan of snow boards. For one, they tend to always be flat and boring. And for the few out there to make it look awesome, it takes a lot more to make it look epic. That is not say it is impossible. I actually find the main reason I have not taken the big dive into the snow board in the past was simply that I do not play any scenarios or forces modeled for winter. In most cases, with the exception of wargaming conventions, I never see winter boards. I, also, believe it is easier to model summer troops, since there are more modeling supplies geared towards the green. It is only natural to like summertime!
     What pushed me towards a winter board was more base on commission work more than anything. During this year, I have made a lot of boards. I made at least 25. That is when my friend, Danny asked if it was okay for him to make a snow board using fur. I had no plans for a winter board, and was more surprised he asked me like it is a copyrighted process. So he made his board, which I think came out pretty good for his first board.
\  
Danny's board.
       Either way, we got to talking about making another one for winter. He had some fur leftover, so he offered me to experiment with it. So I did. Now, there were a couple of things that made this board a little longer that my average projects. It had about the same time consumption of shaving as the desert mats that I do. The difference is that I am not shaving down to the bare cloth as I would with the desert. I had to level it out to still look like snow for figures to sink in. Also, making roads with the combination of Flexseal and Glossy Dark Brown spray paint leaves little room for error. The same goes for painting, because any color getting on the shaved down white ruins that spot. And to top that, the grass I wanted to showcase popping out cannot be brushed in the same way as the other mat types. I think: "Pain in the ass," comes to mind. However, I think I did fairly well for the first go round.

I seemed to have a bunch of trees I forgot about buying. 





This ended up looking better in natural light.

No comments:

Post a Comment