Monday, January 1, 2018

Star Wars: Imperial Assault: New Year's Eve Against Darth Stalin!




   Darth Stalin! That is what I might rename my wife in gaming! It never fails that our friend William and I get ourselves suckered into a Star Wars campaign against my wife, Kalissa as the Dark Side. We did not learn from the first campaign at all. It was like a little voice dangled inside our heads saying, "Surely, it could not be as bad as the last time! We can do this!" This, of course, is all lies. I know better than to let my wife play as villains in any game, because I am aware that the villains will somehow be upgraded to "Super Villains" that would even put Darth Vader to shame!
     In the last two missions, William and I decided to start a brand new campaign. Kalissa and I went over to the local Hobbytown, U.S.A. to pick up a new expansion box. We ended up getting Twin Shadows for the expansion. I wanted to get Jabba's Realm, because why not a Rancor Monster? Either way, we are not going to lie to ourselves, because we know that Fantasy Flight Games is going to get more of our money. The horror! Because we got this box set, we had decided to end our previous campaign that we were almost done with to start using this one. I even had speed painted the figures the hour before we started. I was not trying to make it look perfect.
     If you recalled in the last post, we had been playing with the new Star War: Imperial Assault application on the iPhone. This was why I had not been posting about this, since I have been using the iPhone's camera for most of this blog's photos. This would have been the case for this campaign, however, it is still a relatively new application, so they have not updated the expansion packs into the system. This just means we were not going to get six Nexus Cats in the same room all at once, and I get to use the camera. The downside is the Darkside is clearly going to be run by my wife. Because she can think and roll well, this was not going to be an easy campaign. In fact, it was going to be a losing battle throughout the campaign.




      So after two campaign games of the mini campaign, William and I came to two truths. One, we don't stand a chance in this game against my wife. I was even thinking of the Widespread Panic song, Hope in a Hopeless World. Horde armies seem to fit her well. We had taken a beating in the first campaign, but none of our characters had got anything worse than wounded. In fact, I think the Wookie William played in the previous campaign got wounded in two of the games. And in the previous campaign, we did complete most of the missions or won them. In the current campaign, no missions were won! Two characters have been killed, and all have been wounded. The Storm Troopers under the command of my wife can hit their targets unlike their movie counter parts. This campaign I might even rename this: Rogue One. Han Solo has been killed as well as R2-D2. The best quote of the two games from my wife was: "I don't know if I should chase after you or defend?" This was said after my two characters were wounded and both of William's were dead on turn six of a seven turn game with three of the four objectives for our side untouched! The last picture will on this post will illustrate the situation.


We were stopped by two turns, because of my wife's smart fighting withdraw style.


You may not realize this, but two objectives on this game were on the other side and one was out of the picture on the right. The one below my character on the bottom was the only objective I got to. This was turn six out of seven and I could only move three spaces per turn as this point. Needless to say, we did not win this! 



No comments:

Post a Comment