Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Action, Determined, Dependable...Waterloo Action Soon!


      I must admit a slight attachment to this project that I commissioned for Waterloo. Part of it has to do with taking so long to make and the adventure to getting to this point. This normally would not have taken so long, but I had countless interruptions to the point of being like some action film. Actually, a scene from a Monty Python movie comes to mind. The scene where the king talks to his son before his wedding in The Holy Grail where he talks about the origins of his castle. The first, second, and third castle sank while being built in a swamp, but fourth one stayed! After all, this was some huge tracks of land in the gaming world so to speak.


\
       Just to list the interruptions, one can see why it was sad to see this project leave.

  1.  My father had pasted away with two more road trips to Florida to conclude his final resting.
  2.  I had different relatives visit for the holidays.
  3.  My part time job has clearly been closer to a full-time job! Not even cutting down the hours after Christmas, which is unusual for retail.
  4.   I miscut a section, so I made that into a different mat for the Siege of Augusta Bolt Action Tournament.
  5.  A green paint I was using as a base coat suddenly became discounted. So there was the search of the perfect green to match. Of course, I bought all the bottles I could when I found one that worked.
  6.  Siege of Augusta Convention.
  7.  Weather being too cold, windy, or snow! My God, snow actually interrupted a project!




      Despite all of the interruptions, the sad thing was that I did not get to play on the whole board to it's full glory. It just made me think that we need a bigger house or that I should just stop being stubborn, and just win the Lottery. That way, all problems can be solved by buying a Walmart and turning it into a game hall. It will be good to see it in use with troops on it. Below are some pictures of the board after two hours of fighting wind. It decided to be windy only when I decided to photograph this. Also, included was the look of my feelings afterwards. Enjoy!


The tank is in 1/56 scale to show the size we are talking about.

This might be considered an improvement to those who know me!

5 comments:

  1. Oh man!!!! WOWZERS!!! That is a work of art good sir!! Sorry it's been a long road ... happy to see it come to completion though. I guess you'll just have to come out to a convention here and play in the game ;-) I can just barely ... and I mean barely get this sucker in my garage :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful David! Would you be interested in doing the same mat as a commission for an Australian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem with that. Just e-mail Lissa_0729@yahoo.com. My wife is kinda of like my project secretary for projects. It might be until late March to April, provided, that other projects do not come up.

      Delete
  3. Hi David. Thank you for your reply. I'll be in touch very shortly. Kind regards, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David, I saw your Waterloo mat onJay's blog and just had to make contact with you! Fantastic piece of art Sir! Absolutely loving the finished article. Have you got a tutorial on You tube or any advise on how I could start such a project mat? I hear that airbrush or paint with a comb is the trick? I would love to converse with you and discover how best to produce one of my own! It's the creative process that is the most fun in these projects for me - so any advise will go a long way. (kevineastuk@yahoo.co.uk) Thanks in anticipation David! :-)

    ReplyDelete