Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Some Panzer Painting.

    So it has been quite a while, since I actually painted miniatures. I attempted to paint some of the Native Americans that I got from Historicon as well as some French Marines. I, at least, got some paint on the Natives. The French, not so much! They are primed as well as plenty of other miniatures left on the back burner. This is mostly my own fault, since I have been occupied with some commission work and playing various games. So, for once, I can say that all of the issues preventing me from painting are mainly gaming issues. This could be worse.
    However, after making another Sicily board that is not for me, I felt compelled to play on it before I send it out to the owner. Play testing: we had to play test on it before we send it out to make sure it is safe for future miniatures everywhere! Yeah! That is what we will say. So I wanted to force myself to speed paint some of the Panzer III J's we had from Warlord Games. We have had these for two years now. Kalissa and I bought a bunch of tanks before the plastic ones started pumping out. Don't get me wrong; the plastic ones are nice kits, but I believe that the weight is a sign reliability! Besides, plastic and I have never really been friends. I had bad experiences with the Flames of War plastics, which I seem to break in the most random ways.
     The great thing about good ol' resin tanks is they were fairly easy to put together. I got them built and primed in a hour at most. I like to use a glue for metal called Loctite Control Gel. You can actually count to 30 and it is normally glued for good. I only have issues with the Sherman Fireflies, which always end up being pinned. For painting scheme, I went with the 15th Panzergrenadier Division. This was the 15th Panzer Division leftovers from the disaster of North Africa that escaped to Sicily. I went with this, so I can use them on my Grammichele Project for Historicon, plus it would look good on the themed table. The only thing was find references. I based my scheme off of the picture they have in the Tank Encyclopedia online. There were not too many pictures I could find relating to my tanks that were good shots.

This is the picture from the online Tank Encyclopedia. *
      It took about five hours of hard earned painting to come up with the final result. Most of this was based on a new type of painting. I used multiple washes to see how they would work that were dark brown and sandy yellow. I am still on the fence about this, despite liking how they came out. Anyway, here are some shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment