Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Siege of Augusta 2019


       Another Siege of Augusta has come and gone! It is one of Kalissa and I's favorite conventions, since it tends to be a combination of our wargaming history of  our Atlanta wargaming and our local wargaming in Fayetteville. Plus, we get to meet all of the other lovely personalities we have met at other conventions as well. It also helps that it is only three hours aways, so it is easy to get to.
    From what we were told, this was the largest Siege has been in its history according to the numbers of registered people. I am not sure if that turned out to be so true, since I was not told the official numbers. It seemed about the same as last year in size. This is not a bad thing, considering last year was quite an increase. It could have been bigger based on the various tournaments in other rooms at the convention. I did not exactly check out every room at every time. I ended up playing in all three Bolt Action Tournaments based on the odd numbers for those events. This meant that I did not exactly wonder as much.
  Some of the highlights was the fact that Kalissa convinced Warlord Games to come to the convention. This was a first time for them! The only other miracle I imaged my wife performing was convincing our friend, Eric into playing one of her tournaments. Of course, this might have ending up tearing a hole in the space time continuum or something like that. We had our Bolt Action Tables in the main hall next to Warlord Games, Impudent Mortal, and Firelock Games. I was not sure what the theme of this year's convention was, but naval games were pretty hot for the convention. I saw several types of naval games such as 4 Oak & Iron which is not out yet from Firelock Games and Warlord's new Cruel Seas. Jon running the Warlord Games booth was constantly demonstrating the rules. I, myself, do not own the rules, but I bought the German starter set to battle my friend, Joe. We have several other friends who have been playing Cruel Seas already, and several others at Siege bought something for these rules.
    Through out the convention, there were some pretty nice games going. I tried to photo as much as possible between my constant beatings in the Bolt Action Tournament. I found that I am not that great in tournaments normally. These rounds were usually harsh PAD games. The best I found myself performing was a Draw in the games. That was three out of nine. If I could have escaped, I would have. It is not that I do not like playing or that the players were usually mean. It was more of a combination of bad rolls, lack of sleep (I never sleep well in Hotels), and players with well thought out lists with great answers for most situations. All of the players I played against were really nice guys. And I am glad that they enjoyed themselves. I, also, had some fun and funny moments. I will have to list some of these in the next posting for the tournaments themselves. Plus, there were some games I really would have liked to play in that were being showcased at the show such as two American Civil War games, a Lord of the Rings Game, and two different Battlegroup games.
    However, I did manage to get into a non-tournament related game. I played my first modern warfare game called Open Conflict that was set up by the guys at Miniature Building Authority. In this game, I was some shady men I liked to call "Terrifying Terrorists" that were supposed to rob a bank in town and rescue some team members from a previous attempt of that said bank. Needless to say, I do not think that other players or the game master, at that matter, expected my play style. In the beginning, we were told that the board was our "sand box"; anything could happen in this game. After realizing that I did not have the numbers to take on the police after losing six of my men, I decided to do other ideas.

  1.  I called a local shop across from the bank to declare a Bomb Threat while stating that the security team were terrorist in disguise. This resulting in the shop keeper to shoot at them!
  2.  I tried to throw a burning bag of poop at a neighboring religious camp as a hate crime with ties to the local government. I did not make it over the compound wall.
  3.  Then, I called the U.S. Embassy to declare the Government Security team as disguised terrorists. This made the U.S. soldiers switch sides. 
  4.  I caused so much chaos that the opposing players decided to rob the bank as an ally. Crazy! 
    It was fun game!

    We did not get away scott free from buying stuff. As I mentioned before, I had got myself the German Starter set for Cruel Seas. Kalissa scored a rather large amount of old starter sets of Lord of the Rings for $130 for 150 figures. I, also, bought a bunch of metal 28mm Japanese for my future Historicon project. And just as a last minute buy, we got a good deal for a Miniature Building Authority Building.
    Anyway, Siege of Augusta was still a great time and worth going to. I enjoyed hanging out with friends. Now, it is to the next conventions in the near future before we come back next year. Here are the pictures of the convention below. Enjoy!
   




















































No comments:

Post a Comment