Sunday, June 3, 2018

Nashcon 2018: Isn't It Good to be Alive and in Tennessee!


    "Isn't it good to be alive and in Tennessee!" said from the man, myth, and legend Charlie Daniels as I crossed the North Carolina border into Tennessee. I picked some old school country CD's to listen to as I entered the state snaking my way through the mountain passes on I-40. The destination was Franklin, Tennessee for this year's Nashcon. I had had plenty of people ask Kalissa and I if we were ever going to go to Nashcon over the years. Last year was our first one where Kalissa was convinced to run the convention's Bolt Action Tournament. The request was based on trying to create an awesome tournament for that year and beef up the convention's tournament scene for the same game for the next year. The year of 2018 was going to be the convention's 30th Anniversary. The idea was a great success that year,despite the interesting journey. And we decided then and there to come back the next year. In this case, this year! So for the next couple of postings, they will be Nashcon related. And if you are in the U.S.A. or particularly living near Tennessee or surrounding states, this convention is worth the look.
   Anyway, as in the previous one Kalissa and I had an interest situation attending. Since my wife is a elementary school teacher, she is unable to take off for school during Nashcon's  time due to all of the school's end of the year testing. This has made attending Nashcon more of a challenge to run a tournament. This entails me driving up to Tennessee to set up the terrain a day in advance. Kalissa has to venture out to the convention on a Friday after school, so she usually arrives after 1 a.m. on Saturday. This is on Central Time Zone time! Because I come up on Thursday, I am left to my own devices! Dangerous, I know!
   For this year's Nashcon, I actually played way more games than the first one. On Thursday evening, I found myself playing a meeting engagement in ACW using Johnny Rebel III rules. I cannot say I am a fan of these rules, but I got to meet up with some great gamers to talk to. It was more of a social game than a serious game. And that is a good thing for light-hearted fun. I enjoyed myself. This was the first game I played.


    Friday morning, I somehow got sucked into a Naval game. For those who know me gaming-wise, you are aware that there is a very slim chance that I will play naval warfare. I find most rules are rather on the boring side. My wife will not even play them! So this was a rare gem, indeed! Two gentlemen invited to play their game, since both were signed up for our tournament. I had nothing better to do at the moment, so I agreed to play. I sided with a nice guy named Lee running a French fleet. The Gamemaster or Empire for those overseas was a nice man named Bud. For whatever reason, I cannot remember our opponent's name running the British, and it will most-likely come to me at work or some place were I cannot turn instantly and edit this post. Highly annoying, but Murphy's Law-like, regardless! Maybe, Lee will correct me in the comments.
   Anyway, the game was a "home rules" one. I should have asked for a copy, because they were fast and easy Napoleanic warfare on the water. Bud had mentioned that this is one of the games that runs with the sloan: " If you want to sink ships, this is the game for you!" And it was! Despite loosing three out of my four ships in a squadron, I felt satisfied in the results. Lee and I won as the French, despite some losses. I played my line as shields for the greater ships. I referred myself as the shields you would use in Star Trek. It was the best naval game I have played. I hope to see Bud's final rules in the near future.

   The next game I played was a bit of a surprise based on timing. I actually had the chance to join in on a game both of my friends, the Gray brothers, were playing in. Since we have been going to conventions, Kalissa and I have met up with the same group of gaming convention buddies. Most are from our area in Fayetteville, NC. The list of names are usually Scott, Eric, Eric, Pat, Allen, Hugh, and Lonnie, in not several others. Every convention, these gamers run unscheduled pick-up games that seem to always be during something I am doing. Kalissa gained the nickname "Attilla the Hun" from this group. This happened to have happened when Kalissa keep the guys in check for there own random Pike and Shot game. I believe the statement after that game about her was the she was "Bossy." She describe the affair as  "Herding Cats!" So to get into one of the Pike & Shot games was a happy surprise, despite rolling horribly with the rest of our side. We did not win by even a close margin. But it was great fun. I will eventually get stuff for Pike & Shot someday.

    The last game I played was a "Brother Against Brother" game with Stephen of the ACW Gamer Ezine Magazine. Unfortunately, Kalissa did not bring up our computer, so we could not upload photos. Our phone ran out of storage, so I could photograph the game. It happens!  I played as the Confederates defending a road position. The Union army swept myself and them off the field in the end. But we did take out quite a few Yanks in the process. It was a fun game to play for a Saturday evening. Below are the rest of the photos of games played. Enjoy!
 







































No comments:

Post a Comment