Friday, April 29, 2016

Historicon Layout 2016.

     It is almost that time of year, Christmas, I mean, Historicon 2016 will soon be fast approaching, which means that I have to complete my game in time. Though, Historicon is about a two months away, that is still fairly a short time for the project of my size. This is the problem with trying to raise the standard to convention games is the time to finish it. The projected plan was to finish everything about June. There is a good chance I can do it on that time table. At this point, the planning for our four part game at Historicon has been in the making since January. That seems like a long time, but here are the list of problems when planning out a project.
   One: the reality is that it is just my wife and I. Unlike a lot of games with lots of detailed scenery and figures, this is just our stuff. There are some awesome games played at conventions were here that they were sponsored by a wargaming group or club. Though, after watching a interview for the Vietnam table at Salute 2016, he handmade all of his terrain and painted his figures much like I am doing.
    Two: we are not made of money. That goes without saying for most of us. In our case, I had to budget out our game by month to pay for it. Of course, I made it a point that we can use most of our stuff while I am building and making it. There is no way I would dump that much money into a one time game. I already sort of have done that with our Market Garden board. We played a total of five games on that board. Since one of our local gaming halls has been put of out commission, we really have no way of playing on it. So it is sadly collecting dust at the moment. However, this game, I decided to have it cut in three sections, so we can use them individual for a game table.
     Three: the storage of all of this has been a recent issue. With my previous made hedgerows, which were dirt simple, we could jus stack them in a box on top of each other like bricks. No worries there! Now, that I created various art pieces for hedgerows, I cannot store them the same. I have been buying tubs for them. And they have to all fit in a Jeep Liberty on the way up. I am pretty good on room, but there is something to say when you took ten tables worth of earlier standard terrain to run a Bolt Action Tournament and now this will be a tight fit for only three tables worth.
     At this point of the project, I am down to painting seven squads of American infantry, Three Sherman tanks, two Panther tanks, one PaK40 gun, a Kubewagon, a few Fallschrimjaeger, making three feet of fences, fifteen more feet of hedgerows, and finishing off the mats. The mats will be finished this coming week with no issues. Below is the game layout just as the mats.

  Now, all I need to do is paint some highlights, finish the roads, and finish the middle sections stream. When I look at it, it always seems smaller to me without anything on it despite clearly occupying the parking space for a car. The end standard should look like the picture below minus the horrid red wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment