Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Nashcon Bolt Action Tournament



    As you may know based on the previous post, my lovely wife, Kalissa ran the Nashcon 2017 Bolt Action Tournament. The whole affair came up with the director of Nashcon contacting Kalissa after our successful Siege of Augusta Bolt Action Tournament. Both, Kalissa and I made it a point to try to make it as enjoyable as possible for the players. After all, we want to promote the future of this game system we love to play. I tried to make the boards as close to our normal gaming terrain as we can to inspire the best games. I believe that you can lose with pleasure on a great board full of eye candy with well painted figures! If I had it my way, I would have tried to get by with the current standards of my terrain. The issue is a storage one, and would involve actually renting or buying a trailer based on my hedgerows. We will decided that when we do more tournaments and such.
   Anyway, we had at the beginning eleven players. Some of these were last minute ones that did not have their armies painted to standard. I have heard a couple of comments about standards that I had already responded to on posting to Facebook. We had asked that figures for the tournament be painted in at least three colors. It is not a great demand if knowing in advance. We had four other people sign up that did not show, but received several new players that winged it on the spot. If the other players had showed up, we would have had a 100% full tournament, which would be awesome for the first go round. So really, tournaments for us is about spreading the hobby, having fun, and inspiring. The hope is to want to improve or model on a high standard as a personal desire. Kalissa and I have experienced players who felt guilty for not having things painted well or finished while playing normal games on our terrain. I let them know that it is not that important to me as long as you try to paint your army in the future. And it does not have to be perfect!
      Anyway, below were the players:


  1.    Don Blevins /German
  2.  Charles McKeller /U.S.
  3.  Mike Updike /U.S. Marines
  4.  Annika Whittenberg/ Soviets
  5.  Douglas Whittenberg/ U.S. Airborne
  6.  Sal DiGennaro/ Soviet
  7.  Paul Dempsey/ German
  8.  Chris Maddox/ Japanese
  9.  Alex Smith/ British
  10.  Joseph Bija/ German
  11.  Chris Vaught/ Italian
  12.  Myself/ British Airborne


  I only played in two rounds as an alternate. One player unexpectedly left, so I did not have to play in the third. My scores did not count, though the players objected to that at first, since I would not win anything. My goal was to make sure all the players got to play all rounds. Besides, the prizes are to support the tournament, not me. This leads to our supporters. A special thanks to our friends in wargaming company:


  1. NWS Wargaming Store
  2. Crescent Root Studio
  3. Impudent Mortal
  4.  Warlord Games
  5.  Miniature Building Authority
 The winners were:


  1.  First Place: Alex Smith
  2.  Second Place: Douglas Whittenberg
  3.  Third Place: Don Blevins 
  4.  Best Painted: Joseph Bija
  5.  Best Sport: Annika Whittenberg
Congratulations! I hope names where not mispelled, and I hope to see all of these great gamers in future tournaments, if not just conventions in general!  








































No comments:

Post a Comment