Saturday, December 8, 2018

AAR: Lord of the Rings: First Blood



        In a rare event sometimes, people can catch me involved in a Fantasy or Sci-fi game. It is a rare event, but it can happen in public. And that was the running joke between my wife, Kalissa and I when we went out to our local Hobbytown, U.S.A. to try out the new Lord of the Rings rules and figures I had kind of speed painted. We had thought about it and realized that we seem to always go to Hobbytown when it is raining and when no one is there to witness us play an actual Fantasy game. We played Pantheon: Mystic Battles there once to an audience of near no one last time. But when we play Historical games, we are surrounded Warhammer and X-Wing in a packed room. Interesting?
      Anyway, our trial run of this game was being tested with Rohirrim Riders versus Warg Riders. I due enjoy cavalry charges! Now, as a test run, we did not follow all of the rules exactly in our two games. Since I had not painted in figures that were dismounted or have unmounted rides, we combined the health of our troops to two wounds to kill. This would make for more turns ( So I thought!) and more repetition of how this game runs. You can read rules all day long, but the best practice is to play it out. There is only the one problem with playtesting rules and learning them against your wife....... WHEN SHE LOVES THE GAME! There is a vast amount of losing in ridiculous roles of 1's and 2's when this happens. Wifeness is rolling nearly every roll on a d6 at 5's and 6's. Sometimes, she would give up a 4 to make me feel better. In this game, we were only missing the skipping around the table of winning. First game, all Orcs had died while the realm of humans lost no one. I am sure you can guess who was running the Orcs.
    Game 2 was a little more balance. For one, I did win that one. However, it was fairly matched in combat. It did not matter much to Kalissa, since she turned around and bought and army book in the store. I guess I will just have to paint up some more Lord of the Rings figures. I am sure that there are worse things that could happen. Anyway, the rest of the pictures are our two games. Enjoy!



























No comments:

Post a Comment