Monday, October 15, 2018

AAR: What A Tanker: Call To Arms Pick Up Game


     Since Hurricane Michael decided to interrupt everyone by moving through the area of Virginia, it cancelled Kalissa's doubles Bolt Action Tournament for Call To Arms on day one. But that does not mean that all fun is lost. Instead, we told the people who did show for the first tournament to free game. After all, the tables were already set up. The people for the double tournament were also going to be in the singles one the next day. We just told them it is like recon! The two teams that showed went ahead to play a doubles game anyway.
     By chance, I decided to bring a bunch of our 28mm armor to the convention as well as our What A Tanker rules. It was just an idea for Kalissa and I to play on the Thursday when we got there. It turns out to have worked for a convention pick up game. We decided to play later on the Friday evening inviting several people to play. So we gathered four other people to play a classic 3 versus 3 game of Germans versus British. Kalissa, Michael, and I ran the British. Craig, Charles, and Doug ran the Germans. I know; I know! It is usual for me to be on the same side as my wife. Since it was a random hosting for new players to this game, I let everyone choose what to play. I took a Cromwell. Kalissa took a M-10 Achilles. Michael ran a Sherman Firefly. Craig took a Stug III G. Charles had a Stug IV. Doug had a Panther. It was going to be a good match up.
     Kalissa taught the rules to show how easy the game is. It did not take long for everyone to figure out the game to keep it moving. We had took the other players that this was not a serious game. However, the reactions during the game seemed rather suspenseful. This was probably brought on with Kalissa's ridiculous roll of almost all "sixes" on the first hit at the front of a Panther tank. Needless to say, it did not survive! The German side seems to be driving on egg shells after the first death thanks to Kalissa. The British lost only on tank: mine. The German lost one tank each. Kalissa killed two of them! Everyone seemed to have a good time for a quick and easy game. There are more pictures below of the game.
    I also took part in another What A Tanker game in the game hall playing as Soviets. The Soviets won that engagement, though, I took quite a few shots at me. Again, this is a fun rules set. Pick them up if you can!






Kalissa's first Panther kill on the upper right.

You can see a second Panther who is not too keen on confront an evil M-10.



My aimed kill shot!

This was a face off that resulted in both tankers missing four times before they withdrew.


I felt the need to run forward in the lead.


The temptation to ram was there. Believe me!


   



1 comment:

  1. Great stuff David! Glad you guys were able to salvage something out of the canceled tournament day 🙂

    ReplyDelete