Friday, July 27, 2018

New Convention Project for Historicon 2019.



      After a great success at this last Historicon, my wife and I enjoyed the trip up to the convention. It gave us a chance to visit some relatives on the way and was not as bad as it could of been. As for Historicon 2019 being held in a new venue with some interesting questions, Kalissa has somewhat committed to the idea of going next year. We were on the fence about it, even before we went up this year. It still comes down to one point: Having fun! So after several thoughts, I have chosen my next year's project.
   However, before I do, these were some project ideas for the future that are still not out of question worth mentioning.


  1.  A Safari game during the Imperial Expansion Era.
  2.  A WWII aerial night interception against the Luftewaffe bombers over English cities during the Battle of Briton. 
  3. Black Powder Era Samurai game.
  4. Operation Nordwind of WWII
  5. Bleeding Kansas raids.
  6. Indian Wars during the American Civil War
  7.  Battle of Val Verde, NM 1862
  8.  An Aliens game on a space station. I like Xenomorphs!
  9.  I still have my Sharknado idea!
  10.  A Gangs in Florida in the 1950's.
    In the end, I am going with this project.


       The Battle of Peleliu in 1944.
   
       This has been a project coming for a while. I remember playing war games in the woods of Georgia pretending to be fighting the Japanese or the Vietnamese depending on the toy guns my friends and I pulled out. We even had actual grenades to throw at each other without the explosive part, though they hurt like hell when you got hit buy one. Good thing we wore actual WWII helmets.
The Army Navy Store was a great place to shop off of Hwy 41 in Marietta, GA.
       But what made this particular battle as a focus to me was the fact a friend of mine showing me his Grandfather's guns. Apparently, he had fought in this battle as a Marine. I got to hold his Grandfather's Tommy gun which was marked with tally marks on the but of the gun engraved in the wood. I did not realize until later that they were tallies for the Japanese he knew he killed. This was probably why he had some Japanese swords and some rifles as when store with the Tommy gun. After reading up on the dangers of collecting souvenirs and the booby traps often accompanied by them, I began to understand how wild that battle could be.
      The other reason for making this project is the next terrain challenge and a new theater of conflict I have not cover much on in previous games. I can blame Dan Kerrick for his Scariff Project on this decision as well as one of secretive local players, Joe with his lethal Japanese. Directly below are some examples.




       The idea I am having for this future game is to cover the assault onto the beach on the first day of Sept. 15th, 1944 with the 1st Marines and have players fight their way to the airfield on the island. The whole game has potential for multiple cool terrain ideas. One is making not only some jungle, but heavily bombarded jungle riddled with craters, foxholes, and bunkers. Plus, they are coming off the beach under heavy fire. There are tanks on both sides. Possible airstrikes. Banzai charges! For me, it is going to be a fun filled terrain-fest! Below are some photos of the actual battle. The modelling is going to be fun. I only hope to do the battle justice in honor of the men who had fought there.










No comments:

Post a Comment