Tuesday, March 13, 2018

AAR: Bolt Action: Playing Company of Heroes on the Tabletop.


     I have no idea why I had not thought of it before. I had been playing both Company of Heroes games forever, but never thought to play the same idea on the table top. So Kalissa and I decided to play it out using Bolt Action rules based on the flexibility of the rules system. The idea was simple. There would be various points throughout the board with different numbers as capture points. Each point yields a number that gives purchase power for whatever you need at a cost. The breakdown for points were the following:

  • 1 point = Infantry and small teams.
  • 2 points = Light AT guns, armored cars, and half-tracks.
  • 3 Points = Medium mortars, medium to large AT guns, light tanks.
  • 4 Points = Medium tanks and heavy howitzers.
  • 5 Points = Heavy tanks.

     For starting, both sides get two free units of the lower tier. Only infantry teams could capture. All other Bolt Action rules applied for the game with at least 8 turns. This led to Kalissa and I placing down a half-track with infantry for faster capture possibilities. That was until mine got shot by a Cromwell Tank! Oh well! If you captured a point back, you gained the spending points and that subtracts from your opponent, if they were not already in use on the table. The benefit is that you can capture and kill at the same time, and the next turn, you will not be confronted by reinforcements. Kalissa ended up winning in this game with a total points of 19 versus my last minute 17 points. Anyway, here was the game shots.




























4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great game David! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really a fun idea. We are going to try it out again.

      Delete
  2. Hi David,
    I have just been checking out your previous posts on your blog, all superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I actually starting upgrading most of my terrain based off of reading your blog. I came across your blog a little before I really started my own and said to my wife: "Wife, I am going to have to up my game. That is more what I am looking for!" So thank you for being and inspiration.

      Delete