Friday, August 27, 2021

AAR: Battle Ground: Stalingrad "Not One Step Back!"

 


  This was the second game I played on Friday evening at Nashcon 2021 in the Battle of Stalingrad. This was a six player game with Germans assaulting an apartment building complex held by the Soviets. The rules that the gamemaster used was one I never heard of call "Battle Ground". Apparently, these rules have been out for a while. They seemed to mainly use D20 dice with low numbers being a good thing. I thought, well I am good I rolling "ones". This was not true at all in this game. What I had learned about the rules is that it was a combination of Normandy Firefight, Bolt Action, and Rapid Fire. Or at least that is how they seemed. I had fun with the game, but the Soviets punished the Germans throughout the game. One Soviet player was on fire with rolls. I was not shot at until turn six only after two players where clearly out of the game by turn three. Even the gamemaster said that this was the worst he had ever seen the Germans get hit out of the twenty playtests. I am not sure of the rules, because I would want to read them myself. I did mention that based on the ass kicking on the German side might not inspire the other players to get into these rules. My only issue I had was Soviets shooting at me with Mosin-Nagants out of a window at a 20 degree angle. They must have had some serious arm muscles to fire them out the windows to hit my men hanging rifles out the window. I will look into these rules in the future. 












No comments:

Post a Comment