Monday, October 16, 2017

Olustee Project: Civil War Rules Testing.....Not at Olustee, Fl.



     One of the key factors for running a successful convention game it to be organized enough to know the rules figured out. One of Kalissa's first games at Historicon was a fantasy game. After that first game, she returned to me later in the convention to tell me that the game master did not know what he was doing or the rules. It was even worse to find out that particular gamemaster wrote the rules and has ran this game for it seventh year in a row. Needless to say, he must of gotten some sort of hint, because the rest of the Historicons we have been to, he did not run that game.
   I don't what to ever find myself in the position where I do not know the rules to a game. However, part of the challenge of my project to to find rules that are relatively easy for pick-up players, but still engaging to the players interested. So this last Saturday, we decided to try out the Black Powder rules first. Kalissa and I do not have the "Glory, Hallelujah" supplement, but know that is has about the same mechanics. There is a plus side to these rules that most people know about them, and they are fairly strait forward. They are also easy to modify. As a first time playing these rules, it was not too bad. The couple of things that stood out were that failing orders was rather harsh. However, we forgot about the "Initiative" and "Free" moves that you could make in certain situations. Plus, I plan on having more of a figure presence on the board. I calculated roughly what I had ordered for this game, which brings me to rough 970 figures, before artillery, commanders, and dismounted cavalry. So, it will be a 1,000 plus some number. Also, like tradition, I will be having my normal casualties littering the field.
      Either way, Black Powder seems rather smooth for the most part. It is very promising. However, we some other fun rules to test, such as, Pickett's Charge next week. Anyway, here were some other photos, before the photo froze up. Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment