Wednesday, April 18, 2018

AAR: What a Tanker: Taking Some New Rules On A Spin!


    As the running joke goes amongst our gaming friends, we have a tank problem. Well, it is a shared problem between my wife and I, but she tends to have a little more tanks. Despite this, when our friend, Hugh informed us about Too Fat Lardies upcoming rules "What A Tanker", we did not jump on board. Part of this stems on my wife's thoughts on their rules Chain of Command. She just does not like them. I have a little more mixed opinion about those rules. So with that in mind, What a Tanker did not seem as appealing.
    This last weekend, Hugh brought over his copy in a PDF form of the rules in question. Somehow, it seemed pretty strait forward. It still has a COC feel for a game, but somehow does not have the same problems that we may not like about COC. Plus, it is just tanks. There are no rules for infantry or other issues. You can strait out play this with just one tank each. And they set these rules up to play in a campaign form so you can make your crew into an ace in their particular tank or upgrade to bigger and better things. Pretty niffy to me!
   So to play this game, all we needed were a board with terrain and a tank each. Kalissa took a Cromwell, Hugh had a Sherman, and I had a Stug III G. Bill showed up later to take a Panzer IV H. Needless to say, we had some interesting epic shots. I destroyed one of my wife's tanks only to have her crew escape to get another tank. Hugh lost a Sherman to Bill after he arrived. They had a pretty good exchange of fire. Hugh knocked my Stug III bad enough to nearly destroy my drive train. The picture of my Stug facing off my wife's Cromwell was pretty epic considering I could barely move. What I do know in the end is that I will have to pick up a set of these rules. Below are the rest of the photos of our game. Enjoy!
   



















2 comments:

  1. Very nice looking terrain. Our Group played their first What a Tanker! game today and I think the overall impression is good. I think we will be playing more of it. It has the feel of an easy to play game with lots of choices to make and just the right amount of tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I will be picking up these rules for more games in the future.

      Delete