Thursday, August 26, 2021

AAR: Johnny Reb III: Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas


   At Nashcon, I was lucky enough to not have to play in any of my wife's Bolt Action Tournament. Do get me wrong, I would like playing in it, but I like to roam and play random games at convention. It this case, I stumbled across a Johnny Reb III game for the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas in March 7th, 1862. It was a two day battle, but this game was in the first day. I ended up on the Union side. The way the game master had it, it was some of the regular rules with hidden markers. The idea was to keep the field problems that the commanders had during the battle. Some of the markers were units or dummy units. The board was mounted on a rolling tables that could separate in the middle. I wish I had taken a better picture for the table, but that picture did not come through.

     The battle was split up in two areas like the actual battle. Confederate cavalry tried to flank Union columns on the way to reinforce a crossroad. It just happen to be bad fortune that I had artillery in the front of my column and spotted them. With my first shots, they ran off. The same happened when they tried to set up their own artillery. I was a rather good thorn. I would like to say that there was more action, but the other side of the battle had so many rules questions and issues, it bought our side to a halt. I still had fun, but I think they both battle locations should have been separate games. Either way, I was nice to play rules I have not played in four years. 















1 comment: