Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Testing out Warlord's Cruel Seas


      Recently, our friend, Joe had got his pre-order deal for Warlord Games Cruel Seas. This is a small skirmish naval game dealing with WWII Raiding boats, such as, Torpedo Boats and such. He asked people in our group about playing it. Honestly, as many know, I am not big into naval games, but there are some that I am willing to try like simple naval games like Sails of Glory. I still have never played that game.  The one person I knew who had anything for that game decided to sell his Sails of Glory stuff. This seems to be common practice for quite a few fellow wargamers we know. They have a mind like squirrels and react to gaming interests. It changes constantly. As Kalissa said on the way over, " there are squirrels that make decisions, and then, there are pancake road squirrels." Commiting to a decision in the gaming world can be hard, I know.
     Anyway, back to Cruel Seas. This was a fairly similar game to Bolt Action, but with boats. Joe and I tried out two missions where he was the pesky British and I was the Germans. The ranges in this game are measured in centimeters. So if you get this game and what to use your own tape measure, make sure it has centimeters. The game's core set came with three measuring sticks that also had angles drawn in for turning your boat. The boats can go four speeds and apparently, you can possible ram each other. I did not get to do this with these rules yet. I will have to try it the next time we play. It is also possible to have your movement interrupted with other boat's wake. Mines are mentioned as well.
    As the games went, I found that my Germans were not as good at shooting, though I managed to sink one British boat in the first game. The second game, I got a chance to fire torpedoes at a freight ship, but was only able to leave it alive by one point. I imagine that if the Germans have painted boats, they will hit their targets much better. At least, that is the lie I am telling myself. I am pretty sure that Joe will bring this game out, again. We both had fun playing it for it's first time out. I might invest it this game in the future. Who knows. However, I have some other projects to tend to at hand.







No comments:

Post a Comment