Monday, July 16, 2018

Historicon 2018 Overview.



        Well, it was finally over for Kalissa and I for another year of Historicon. It had been a great trip to see so many wargaming friends across our community. I can not say I disapprove of the local this year in Lancaster, PA at the Host. I have been hearing horror stories about this place along with the countless complains back and forth over the venue. And when I hear horror stories, my ears perk up, since I like cheesy horror stories and monster films. The Host is a long trek to get to from  Fayetteville, NC at about 8 hours without any traffic issues. I expected 9 hours in general. However, I  gained a few extra days off from work I did not ask for, so Kalissa and I went to visit various family members in Maryland and Delaware. So in our case, the distance was an hour on the last trek to get to Historicon.
    For my review of the venue of the Host. It was very interesting. I can definitely see why people complain about this place. For one, it is still under renovations. There were unpainted walls, blocked off entrances, poor lighting in some areas. And there were STAIRS! Lots of them! Kalissa and I had a full step aerobic workout just wondering the convention. I know that I need the exercise, but some people may not be able to handle such things. The best way to describe the Host in it's current state would be: Resident Evil. This is the perfect set up for a Resident Evil video game!
   However, the one thing that this year's decision of using the Host did not do was steer me away from the word I came for: FUN. I really enjoyed this year's convention. I got to meet more wargaming friends that we don't get to see as often. I got to run 5 games along with Kalissa's 4. We got some goodies. I got to meet some famous game designers. And Kalissa got to be a judge for show.


    As many who follow this blog may know,  I ran my Olustee, Fl project for this show. I ran five games that everyone seemed to enjoy. I will post how those games came out as well as the rest of the convention photos. There will be a lot of photos. So prepare to enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. The next post you put up better have a photo of the award you better have won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will not in the first bunch, because they will be all of the other game photos. I, also, plan to post all of the five games I ran. However, I did manage to win two awards. You will just have to see in a day or two.

      Delete
  2. Agree with Ivor! Going through all your posts now for Historicon ... living it through your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete